Ledes of my Life

"My life in the news world."

6.01.2011

New Faces

This week I stayed busy at The Press with an article about local women who (in my opinion) dominated at a Strongman Competition. They lift large amounts of weight via unusual objects (atlas stone, log, etc). Check out the link to read about it. I got a byline and it was on 2nd front.

This week designing the feature page was a little more challenging, but interesting nonetheless. A local photographer is putting together a project of 1,000 local people's faces. So here it is. We initially thought of doing a grid, but with a smaller number of photos available this is what the final product was.



I had to leave work early on Tuesday in order to visit the UN. (Tuesday is our busiest day of the week, so I felt bad leaving with so much still to be done.) There were so many people from different countries walking around and working. We were briefed by several people in the UN's strategic communications division. It was interesting to hear their perception of social media and what they are doing with it. I was surprised that they had only about 75,000 "likes" on their Facebook page and 356,000 followers on Twitter. (While the Twitter number is more impressive, I was wondering why their numbers were still so low?) Barack Obama has more than 8 million followers on Twitter. Lady Gaga has 10 million followers.



So my point is: if this assembly is supposed to be helping regular people across the world, how are they reaching them, if even western countries (and developed countries) who use social media to get so much of their information, are not even paying attention to the UN? 

0 comments: