Ledes of my Life

"My life in the news world."

9.10.2009

Marhaba Dome of the Rock

This week has been slightly painful. Mostly, because all of us (the students) have been nearly restricted to our rooms from such large homework loads. We've all come to agreement that 2 credit hour classes should not be permitted to assign 100 pages of history reading each night. At some point, most of us just break and run into the city to escape the drudgery that is our Ancient Near East history class.

I love my classes, just not the reading. It is fascinating to learn about the Jewish culture (not religion...because as many of us are learning...Judaism is more of a way of life than a religious denomination) from its beginnings along with Isalm. Arabic is fun. Our first class was mainly introductory, and our teacher is outrageous. I think I will like it, if I can remember the words that we learn. We might even get Arabic names. There is a place in the old city that can translate your name to Arabic or Hebrew and make it into a necklace.

After Old Testament class with Brother Emmett (which is probably my most favorite class right now. Which has surprised me. I have never really studied the Old Testament, but I suppose it takes on a different meaning when one is living where the events and stories have taken place.) we went to the Old City again and finally were able to get onto the Temple Mount!

A group of us have tried several other times unsuccessfully to see the Dome of the Rock and the Temple Mount, but because it is Ramadan the hours are more restricted. Police guard every entrance to the mount, but tourists and such are allowed before 11ish a.m. during the day. We spent quite a while just walking around it. The Al Aqsa mosque next to the Dome of the Rock on the Temple Mount and is one of the most holy sites in Isalm. It was nearly imaginable for me to think I was standing (not on the same stones or level) where the temple used to be. Where Abraham went to sacrifice Isaac. The holiest place in Judaism. Where Christ would have taught the people of Jerusalem. Unfortunately, it is not allowed to bring religious books or music, etc through security onto the Temple Mount. I think it would have been an even more profound experience if one could actually read the Bible there.

It is amusing to see the other tourists around the city. Usually the are in huge groups wearing matching red hats, neon colored shirts, or yellow scarves. They are impossible to maneuver around. Us students are always trying to squeeze past them while they leisurely clog the small alleys in the Old City. I am confident that we will feel more like residents here by the time next month is over, rather than tourists. Already it has been 1 1/2 weeks and I have a fairly good grasp of the Old City at least.

The food at the JC is becoming less appealing by the day. I have tried almost everything, some of which has made me feel I would instantly regurgitate my food. I don't like meat so much anymore. Pita is the best thing since the invention of a paved road. I eat it when I can't stomach the other food...with nutella it's delicious. And you can even make pb&j with it. It's a nice backup.

Well I'm off to watch at movie on Egypt since we are leaving in one week! Amazing? Yes. (Although many of us are preparing by buying quantities of packaged food so we do not end up sick.) If anyone has any purchase requests for while I'm there...just let me know.

0 comments: