Ledes of my Life

"My life in the news world."

9.03.2009

Shalom Jerusalem

I am officially a pilgrim. After a horrid long flight, I am finally in the Holy Land! It is so incredible to be here. We arrived Wednesday night at sundown, with sounds of the city filling our ears (mostly in celebration of Ramadan) Christmas lights were strung from buildings, twinkling everywhere. The city is much more modern than I expected.

The Jerusalem Center is beautiful. We are so lucky to actually be living here! It is like a temple. I awoke this morning to the blaring of the Call to Prayer aroud 4a.m. Since we live in East Jerusalem it consists of Palestinians, Muslims, & Arabs. The speakers sit right across from the center, so it sounds as if it is someone outisde on our balconies. (Needless to say...my first night in the Holy Land was a restless one.)

If I had to leave after spending only today here, it would have been worth it. What an experience. After an early breakfast & more orientation we walked through many parts of Jerusalem & the Old City. From the Jerusalem Center we walked all the way to the Old City and entered through Domascus Gate. The vendors crowded nearly every space. The smell of foreign spices filled the air to the point my nose burned with its scent. Trash, spoiled fruit, and cardboard boxes littered the alleyways and streets...adding to the ocassional smell of urine. (understandable though, I suppose since buildings are just stacked upon each other in so close quarters)
We were able to stop at an Austrian hospice and use their decent bathrooms. It was tucked away on a corner almost, with a fairly small door which we buzzed and it was opened...which led to another gate inside (almost like "The Sound of Music" when the children visit Maria" It was strange how such a nice little place surrounded by flowers and plants on the inside was amongst the clutter and bustle in the muslim quarter.

We followed the Via Delarosa to the Church of the Holy Seplechure (or the Church of the Reedemer). There were only a couple other large tourist groups there. While many believe this to be the place were Christ was crucified and burried, there is also the Garden Tomb which is thought to be the place as well. The controversy that has risen out of the Church of the Holy Seplechure is extensive and (in my opinion...the opposite of being Christlike) It is amazing how different churches will fight...even literally for a larger piece of the church. I have quickly discovered that many of the disagreements, fighting, and violence in Jerusalem can be linked to desire for political power. West Jerusalem is so different from East Jerusalem. It is so modern and developed compared to the small buildings and shacks in the East.

There is so much more I could say about my first day exploring Israel, but just as I will never be able to see everything here, I think it would be impossible for me to also write everything I am feeling and have experienced in just one day.

0 comments: