Ledes of my Life

"My life in the news world."

4.29.2011

The Royal Wedding: Don't you love online streaming?

New media allows us to watch news online where ever we are. Ex: The Royal Wedding.

The day has come. (The news will have to find another countdown now.)


Prince William married Kate Middleton this morning. I felt I could not not mention the royal wedding. Even in NYC, celebrations have been happening since 5 a.m. this morning.


Many of my friends and fellow interns went off to cover the wedding events for the Brooklyn Paper and the New York Daily News at 4:30 a.m. this morning. I was still in bed.


I HAD to watch the last of the procession when I woke up around 7 a.m. Unfortunately, I missed "the kiss" because I was on the subway. But thanks to online media, you don't need to watch things on the tv anymore. I just used my trusty macbook pro.


This is one technological advancement I love. love. love. Forget the hassle of tv commercials or even owning a tv. In NYC, where space is limited and money too, we can just use our computers and that is amazing. Just take a moment to think about that. Four or five years ago, we were just getting tv show episodes online and then they were barely able to play all the way through their 43 minutes of video without buffering every two minutes (today its just every 10).


While technology can be frustrating and often force you to wonder whether throwing your computer, etc out your 6th floor window might be easier, today remember what it does for you.


It helps me get my job done. It allows me to stay connected with family, friends and readers. It keeps me from getting lost on the subway system. And it helps me find restaurants when I'm on the go. I can watch all my tv shows weeks after they air. And I can watch news live.

0 comments: