Ledes of my Life

"My life in the news world."

4.27.2011

Tales of Working in the Bronx:First Day Jitters




The Riverdale Press is located off Broadway in the west side of the Bronx.

DAY 3: 


I have successfully made my way through NYC for three days now. I began my internship at the Riverdale Press this morning at a bright and early 11:45 a.m. They are a weekly paper, and it is printed on Wednesdays (hence the late arrivals). 


There is a small in-house staff of 15 people or less. Ther are ... drum roll ... four reporters. It amazes me. They crank out around four stories each week to fill the paper along with columns, briefs, etc. I think that's amazing. 


Luckily, they found a desk for me to work in. I am currently working on putting together next week's "What's up," which is essentially a calendar of local events. 


The Riverdale Press is a small, community newspaper. Yes, I know it seems odd that I would travel all the way to New York to work at a small paper when I have job opportunities at larger newspapers in Utah. BUT New York news is different. The police beat doesn't cover fake cougar sightings, water balloon attacks or other pranking. ( I love BYU's police beat, truly.) And while working at a huge, upscale national magazine would be awesome (and I would love to do that) this experience is just that: experience in the real world. 


I miss designing already. I can't wait to design for The Press.


Designing is my passion now. I hope I can perhaps do some things with my internship before I leave at the end of the term. 


Tonight I'm off to enjoy takeout with Maria and Institute at the Lincoln Center Building. 


And I continue to search for a fan...or air source of some sort. I need a hardware store. I'm open to suggestions.


CONTINUED...
The Shake Shack is a popular ice cream & burger joint.
Tonight I attended institute in the Lincoln Center Building which also houses the LDS temple in NYC. It was wonderful to be able to sit and discuss the scriptures after working all day. The teacher was enthusiastic and funny. I was so glad Maria encouraged me to go. I was able to get some other girls from the program to attend as well. Afterwards, we went out for dessert at the Shake Shack off 77th with Jim, a guy we met at institute.


A perfect ending to an odd day.

1 comments:

Lauren said...

Jordan!
I can't wait to hear more about your day in person! :]